BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Alabama baseball paired Luke Holman's hitless start with five home runs to take down Samford, 11-6, on Tuesday evening at Joe Lee Griffin Field. The win moved the Crimson Tide to 13-0 on the season.
Luke Holman (3-0) was masterful in his start against the Bulldogs, picking up his third win of the season. The sophomore struck out a career-high and Alabama season-best 12 batters while not allowing a hit across his 5.0 innings of work.
Holman's start was paired with five total home runs by the Crimson Tide offense. Leading the way was Colby Shelton, with the freshman homering twice on the night and totaling a team-high three RBI. Dominic Tamez added a pair of RBI with his two-run shot to go with solo homers from Jim Jarvis and Drew Williamson.
From Head Coach Brad Bohannon
"This was a great effort by our club tonight. I really liked the way we came out swinging the bats, scoring five of the first six innings to take an 11-0 lead. You pair that with Luke Holman, who gave us an electric 5.0 innings of no-hit baseball. I'm excited to get back out there tomorrow and continue to build some momentum."
How It Happened
T1 | Will Hodo was hit by a pitch to give the Tide a one-out baserunner. Andrew Pinckney brought him home in the next at-bat with an RBI-triple to deep center. (1-0, Alabama)
T2 | Jim Jarvis hit a solo home run to add the inning's first run. One out later, Colby Shelton hammered a solo shot of his own. (3-0, Alabama)
T3 | Drew Williamson led off the inning with a solo home run that he sent 425 feet over the wall in right. (4-0, Alabama)
T5 | Mac Guscette reached on an error, which would prove costly, as Dominic Tamez homered in the next at-bat for a two-run shot. Caden Rose then drew a walk with one down before Shelton crossed the pair with a two-run home run to center. (8-0, Alabama)
T6 | The Tide loaded the bases with one down before a walk to pinch-hitter Jaxson West crossed a run. One out later, Rose added to the lead with a two-run double. (11-0, Alabama)
B6 | Samford got on the board with five runs to cut into the Tide lead. (11-5, Alabama)
B7 | A wild pitch with the bases loaded added one more for the Bulldogs. (11-6, Alabama)
- Alabama's 13-game winning streak to start the season is the standalone third-longest in program history. The all-time record for wins to start a season is 15 by the 1997 roster. The 13-game streak also ties for the sixth-longest winning streak at any point in a season.
- The 13-game streak has occurred on three previous occasions, most recently by the 1984 team from games 4-16 of the season.
- Luke Holman finished with a season-high 12 strikeouts in tonight's start. The 12 punchouts are the most by a Tide pitcher since Jake Walters in game one of a doubleheader at Missouri on April 7, 2018.
- Holman did not allow a hit across his 5.0 innings of work.
- Alabama has homered in all 13 games this season, including multiple home runs in nine contests.
- The Crimson Tide totaled 12 hits in the contest and has posted double-digit hit totals in 11 of 13 games.
- Colby Shelton has homered in four straight games. He is the first Tide player to do so since Kent Matthes from March 7-14, 2009.
- Shelton has totaled three two-homer games in his last four contests. He had two on Friday and Saturday against UIC before hitting two tonight.
- The freshman also extended his hitting streak to 10 games. Over that stretch, Shelton is batting .441 (15-34) with a double, nine home runs, 19 RBI, 13 runs, five walks and a hit-by-pitch.
- Caden Rose has reached base safely in his last 30 consecutive games dating back to April 25.
- Drew Williamson has gotten aboard in all 13 contests to start his graduate season. Including the final game of last season, Williamson has gotten aboard in 14 straight games.
- Will Hodo has reached base safely in last 11 games played.
- Hodo's hitting streak came to an end at seven games. Over that stretch, the sophomore batted .474 (9-19) with a double, a home run, three RBI, seven runs, four walks and two hit-by-pitch.
Alabama will return to the field tomorrow evening to host Alabama State at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. First pitch between the Crimson Tide and Hornets is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT with the game airing on SEC Network+.