TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Alabama baseball used 15 hits and a season-high tying 10 walks to earn a 21-7 win over Alabama State on Wednesday evening at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The 18th-ranked Crimson Tide is now 14-0 on the season.
Alabama paired 10 walks with 15 hits to account for 21 runs in the seven-inning affair. The Tide scored in five of the six innings on Wednesday, including five-run frames in the second, fourth and sixth. The offense produced multiple home runs for a fifth straight game and the 10th time this season, with the group of Mac Guscette, Tommy Seidl, Will Hodo and Jim Jarvis all recording a roundtripper.
Guscette led the Tide in RBI with six as part of a 3-for-3 showing that included a double and a run scored, while Seidl finished a perfect 4-for-4 with four RBI and four runs. Andrew Pinckney matched Seidl for the team lead in runs with four as part of a 1-for-1 night with a double, two walks and a hit-by-pitch. Tide starter Jackson Reynolds (1-0) picked up the win with 3.0 innings of work.
From Head Coach Brad Bohannon
"This was a really good offensive performance for us. This was the second night in a row with multiple home runs - five last night and four tonight - so I'm happy about that. I'm glad to get this game behind us, these double midweeks and five games in six days can take a lot out of the kids. We will catch our breath tomorrow, but we're excited to play Columbia this weekend."
How It Happened
- B1 | Tommy Seidl singled and was followed by a double from Andrew Pinckney to put the pair in scoring position. A 1-3 putout moved everyone up 90 feet to cross the game's first run. After a walk put runners on the corners, Ed Johnson singled through the left side to cross one more. (2-0, Alabama)
- T2 | Back-to-back two-out doubles got the Hornets on the board. (2-1, Alabama)
- B2 | Jim Jarvis got aboard with a single and came home one out later on a home run by Seidl. Pinckney was then hit by a pitch before stealing second. Drew Williamson followed with a walk to put two aboard for Mac Guscette, with the Tide DH homering deep to left. (7-1, Alabama)
- T3 | A single and a stolen base put the Hornets' leadoff man in scoring position before a double brought a run in. After a stolen base, ASU sent a sacrifice fly to left to add one more. (7-3, Alabama)
- B3 | With a pair in scoring position and two down, Seidl singled to right to score both runners. He then stole second with Pinckney joining him on base by way of the walk. A wild pitch moved both runners into scoring position before another wild pitch allowed Seidl to score. A single in the next at-bat from Guscette added a fourth run in the frame. (11-3, Alabama)
- B4 | Will Hodo started the scoring with a leadoff home run. The Tide then loaded the bases before a wild pitch brought in a run. A walk put runners at every base for Guscette, who added two on a double to left. Johnson then singled through the left side to score one more. (16-3, Alabama)
- B6 | The Tide loaded the bases with two down. Caden Rose proceeded to double down the line to bring in a pair. Jarvis followed, homering for his second time in as many nights, this one a three-run shot. (21-6, Alabama)
- T7 | A solo home run from Ian Matos added a run for ASU. (21-7, Alabama)
- Alabama's 14-game winning streak to start the season is tied for the second-longest in program history, matching the 2020 team. The all-time record for wins to start a season is 15 by the 1997 roster.
- The 14-game streak also ties for the fifth-longest winning streak at any point in a season. The 14-game streak has occurred only once, coming by way of that 2020 team.
- The Tide's 21 runs are the most in a game this season and the most since March 7, 2021, when UA also recorded 21 at the College of Charleston.
- Alabama has homered in all 14 games of the 2023 campaign, while producing multiple home runs in 10 contests.
- The Crimson Tide totaled 15 hits and has posted double-digit hit totals in 12 of 14 contests.
- Caden Rose has reached base safely in his last 31 consecutive games dating back to April 25.
- Drew Williamson has gotten aboard in all 14 contests to start his graduate season. Including the final game of last season, Williamson has gotten aboard in 15 straight games.
- Will Hodo has reached base safely in last 12 games played.
- Jim Jarvis got aboard in tonight's game and has reached base safely in 11 consecutive games dating back to Feb. 21.
- Jarvis also homered against ASU to go with last night's home run at Samford. It marks the first time in his career that the senior has homered in back-to-back games.
- Colby Shelton's hitting streak ended at 10 games. Over that stretch, Shelton batted .441 (15-34) with a double, nine home runs, 19 RBI, 13 runs, five walks and a hit-by-pitch.
- ATTENDANCE: 2,814
The Crimson Tide will break from game action on Thursday before returning to the field on Friday to open a three-game series with Columbia. First pitch in game one is set for 6 p.m. CT followed by a 2 p.m. start on Saturday. Things wrap up on Sunday at 1 p.m. with all three games airing live on SEC Network+.