Alabama defeats UNA, Fouts joins 1,000 strikeout club
FLORENCE, Ala. - Alabama softball overcame an early deficit to defeat North Alabama, 5-2, Tuesday night on the road as Montana Fouts became the fifth player in program history to earn 1,000 career strikeouts.
Alabama (21-6) trailed in the second inning after a North Alabama (17-3) RBI single put the home team up 1-0 early. The Crimson Tide knotted it up in the fourth on an RBI single from Bailey Dowling before a two-run double from Emma Broadfoot put Alabama in the lead. The Tide tacked on two more before the frame ended to make it a 5-1 game at the halfway mark. The Lions got a run back in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI single and put the first two batters on in the seventh, bringing the potential tying run to the plate. Fouts entered to try and close out the game, striking out two along with a groundout to end the threat and secure the win.
With two strikeouts in her third save of the season, Fouts eclipsed the 1,000 strikeout mark for her career, becoming the fifth Tide pitcher in program history to surpass that total. Jaala Torrence (6-2) got the win as the starting pitcher, throwing 5.1 innings. Bailey Dowling tied a career high with three hits while Kristen White posted her fourth multi-hit game of the season from the leadoff spot.
- With two strikeouts today, Montana Fouts now has 1,001 for her career and is the fifth player in program history to reach the 1,000 strikeout milestone
- Alabama is 7-3 this season when the opponent scores first
- Bailey Dowling's three hits ties her career high, previously doing so on Feb. 21, 2021 vs. LSU
- Both Ally Shipman and Kristen White extended their hitting streaks to six games
- Kenleigh Cahalan has now reached base safely in 11 straight games
- B2 | A single to right field drove in the first run of the day for UNA (0-1, 0 Out)
- T4 | Bailey Dowling dropped a check-swing single into shallow right, driving in Ally Shipman from second (1-1, 0 Out)
- T4 | Emma Broadfoot roped a bases-loaded double down the line, scoring two (3-1, 1 Out)
- T4 | Ashley Prange tagged up and scored from third on a sac fly RBI from Kali Heivilin (4-1, 1 Out)
- T4 | Broadfoot scored on an infield RBI single from Kristen White (5-1, 2 Out)
- B6 | A one-out single through the left side drove in a run for the Lions (5-2, 1 Out)
Up Next: vs. Arkansas (Tuscaloosa, Ala.)
- Saturday, March 18 - 4:30 p.m. CT - SEC Network
- Sunday, March 19 - 5 p.m. CT - SEC Network
- Monday, March 20 - 6 p.m. CT - SEC Network