Crimson Tide run rule Blazers in eight-inning affair
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Alabama baseball scored in four of the final five innings for the 12-2, eight-inning win over UAB on Tuesday evening at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Crimson Tide is now 18-4 on the season.
UAB took an early lead with one in the first and kept Alabama off the board until the fourth. That fourth saw the Tide scored two runs to take the lead for good. Alabama added five in the sixth and two in the seventh before the Blazers tallied one in the eighth. The Tide then crossed three in the eighth to end the game after eight innings at 12-2 for the run-rule victory.
The Tide offense was powered by Drew Williamson, who finished 2-for-3 with a home run, three RBI and a run scored. Tommy Seidl provided three hits as part of a perfect 3-for-3 effort that included a double and three runs scored. Colby Shelton joined the veterans with a multi-hit night, contributing two hits and a pair of runs while drawing one walk.
Jacob McNairy (3-1) got the win with 5.0 innings of one-run baseball. The right-hander allowed just four hits and issued no walks while striking out four.
From Head Coach Brad Bohannon
"I'm glad to get a win and be 18-4. To be quite honest, I didn't really like the way we came out to play. We sleepwalked through the first three or four innings. Once Jacob McNairy got us through the first inning, he settled down and really looked sharp in innings two through five. The bats woke up in the middle of the game there and obviously there were some positive on the back half."
How It Happened
- T1 | With runners on the corners, a third single in the inning brought across the game's first run. (1-0, UAB)
- B4 | Colby Shelton walked with one down and moved to third on a double from Tommy Seidl. Then, with two down, Jim Jarvis sent a line drive to left that resulted in a misplay by the Blazers to allow both runs to score. (2-1, Alabama)
- B6 | Seidl started the rally with a one-out single before crossing in the next at-bat on a Caden Rose double. After a pair of walks loaded the bases, a groundout scored Rose from third. Drew Williamson followed with a three-run shot over the wall in right to cap the five-run frame. (7-1, Alabama)
- B7 | Shelton singled with one down and moved to second on a hit-by-pitch for Seidl. Pinch-hitter Max Williams was next, sending a single to right to score Shelton before a sac fly from Jarvis added another. (9-1, Alabama)
- T8 | A two-out double scored one for the Blazers. (9-2, Alabama)
- B8 | The Tide loaded the bases before a Jaxson West single scored one. After a pair of outs, Williams walked to push a run across with Jarvis singling up the middle to cross the game-ending run. (12-2, Alabama)
- Alabama finished with 13 hits and has totaled double-digit hits 17 times this season.
- The Crimson Tide has homered in 20 of the 22 games in 2023.
- Ed Johnson's reached base streak ended at 18 games. The streak began on Feb. 18.
- ATTENDANCE: 2,995
Alabama will return to the diamond on Friday to host 22nd-ranked Kentucky for a three-game weekend series. The Crimson Tide and Wildcats are scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT first pitch in game one followed by a pair of 2 p.m. starts in the final two contests. Games one and two will air on SEC Network+ with the series finale airing nationally on SEC Network.