GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The eighth-ranked Florida softball team defeated Stetson, 4-1, in midweek action Wednesday evening at Patricia Wilson Field. Sophomore right-hander Lexie Delbrey hurled her second one-hitter of the season as she held the Hatters hitless until the last out in the final frame of action.
Delbrey (5-2) and the Gators (23-5) held the Hatters (17-13) to just one base runner in the first 6 2/3 innings of play in what turned out to be a pitcher's duel against Stetson's Hannah Marien (7-5) until the 5th inning. The lone SU batter to reach during that span was leadoff hit-by-pitch drawn by Brianna Clary.
Florida rallied to break the scoreless tie in the top of the 5th inning of play via a two-out rally. Katie Kistler initiated it with an infield single that fell on the infield after the Hatters' shortstop dove for it behind the pitcher's circle. Kistler was moved to third when Skylar Wallace notched the game's first extra-base hit of the game with a double to right center.
With Kistler on third and Wallace on second, Reagan Walsh gave UF the lead 2-0 when she drilled the first pitch offered from right-handed starter Hannah Marien down the left field line for a two-RBI double.
The Gators continued to put the pressure on the Hatters defense and pitching in the top of the 6th inning. Freshman Olivia Gigante roped a leadoff double right center field, which was followed up by a walk drawn by Pal Egan. Pinch-runner Bryn Thomas and Egan were advanced to second and third via a Sam Roe SAC bunt, and it was Kaila Pollard who delivered this time with a two-RBI single to right center that extended the lead out to 4-0.
The Hatters finally broke onto the scoreboard in the bottom of the 7th inning to close down the Florida lead to 4-1. Evette Morgan lifted a 3-1 offering from Delbrey over the left field wall for Stetson's only hit and run of the contest.
Florida returns to action with a three-game series in Fayetteville, Ark. at Bogle Park against No. xx/xx Arkansas this Friday, March 24, through Sunday, March 26.
- Lexie Delbrey hurled her second one-hitter of the season in tonight's win over Stetson and her first came against UAB (March 5). Delbrey has also thrown a no-hitter this season as she no-hit Rutgers (March 12) during the Bubly Invitational. The Florida pitching staff now has five one-hitters on the year.
- Charla Echols went (2-for-4) in this evening's game against the Hatters to notch her ninth multi-hit game of the year. Echols extended her reached base safely streak to 15 consecutive games after a single through the left side in the top of the 1st inning.
- Pal Egan reached in the 2nd inning via an infield single and has now reached base safely over the last five games.
- Reagan Walsh broke open the scoring in the top of the 5th inning when she produced a two RBI double down the left field line. The two RBI game is Walsh's fourth multi-RBI game of the year.
- Kaila Pollard extended Florida's lead out to 4-0 via a two-RBI single to right center field for her fifth multi-RBI game of the year.