COLUMBIA, Mo. - The University of Missouri softball team (21-14) continued its undefeated midweek run with a 4-1 victory over Missouri Valley Conference leader Northern Iowa (17-10) Wednesday afternoon at the Mizzou Softball Stadium.
With the win, Mizzou improved to 6-0 in midweeks (5-0 at home) this season.
Jordan Weber led the Tigers in the circle registering four strikeouts while only allowing two hits over four innings for the win. Weber, a senior from Lee's Summit, Missouri, improved to 6-5 in 2023 (38-21 in her career).
The Tigers took an early 2-0 lead after a two-run homer from Alex Honnold in the bottom of the first. For Honnold, a junior outfielder from West Des Moines, Iowa, the round tripper was her eighth of the campaign (10th in her career).
Jenna Laird led off the game with a single to right to extend her reached base streak to three games ahead of Honnold's blast.
Mizzou increased its advantage by a pair the following frame.
Chantice Phillips compiled her fourth two-bagger of the season before scoring on a Panthers error.
Julia Crenshaw added to the Tigers' lead with a sacrifice fly.
UNI scratched across a run in the sixth on a RBI single from Mya Dodge.
Megan Schumacher and Taylor Pannell both saw action Wednesday, coming on in relief of Weber. Schumacher allowed just a run on three hits with a punchout over two innings.
Pannell earned the save, striking out two in the seventh.
- Missouri extended its all-time series advantage over UNI to 28-5.
- Jenna Laird extended her reached base streak to three games with a hit and a run in the contest.
- Alex Honnold belted her team-leading eighth home run of the season (10 in her career). She finished with two RBI, a run, and a walk.
- Alex Honnold posted her seventh multi-RBI game of the season which ties for first with Jenna Laird and Kara Daly.
- Chantice Phillips (fourth of the season) and Riley Frizell (third of the season) each connected on doubles Wednesday. For Phillips, it was her second double in three games.
- Maddie Gallagher earned a walk to push her reached base streak to three games.
- Payton Jackson and Jenna Laird each stole bases increasing the team total to 70 in 2023.
- Taylor Pannell earned her fourth save of the campaign, compiling two strikeouts in the final frame.
- Megan Schumacher made her 12th appearance out of the pen, allowing a run on three hits with a strikeout.
Missouri next hosts No. 17/13 Alabama Friday through Sunday on Alumni Weekend.