TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Alabama baseball evened the series up with Auburn thanks to a 4-2 win over the Tigers on Saturday evening at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Crimson Tide is now 25-11 on the season and 5-9 in Southeastern Conference play.
Alabama jumped out front early with a three-run second. The Tide then added one more in the fourth before the Tigers cut into the lead with one run apiece in the seventh and ninth. Auburn was able to reach the tying run in the top of the ninth, but a 4-6-3 double play ended things in favor of the Crimson Tide to even the series up at one game apiece.
Garrett McMillan (1-1) was masterful in his extended outing. Despite being on a pitch count, McMillan tossed 5.0-plus scoreless frames, allowing just one hit while striking out four for the win. The Tide then went to the bullpen with Alton Davis II highlighting the relief effort. The freshman worked a scoreless ninth, allowing one hit and a walk with one strikeout for his second save of the year.
While only recording five hits on the night, Alabama's offense was aided by 11 free passes made up of eight walks and three hit-by-pitch. The bats were led by Mac Guscette and Dominic Tamez. Guscette finished 2-for-3 with a two-run double and one walk, while Tamez was 2-for-4 with a double of his own to go with one run scored.
From Head Coach Brad Bohannon
"I'm really proud of our team. This was a big win for us on so many levels. We got to the point where we needed guys to step up, and that's exactly what Garrett McMillan and Alton Davis II did tonight."
How It Happened
- B2 | Three straight walks started the inning before a fourth walk, this one to Andrew Pinckney, brought across the game's first run. Mac Guscette followed with a two-run double off the top of the wall in left-center. (3-0, Alabama)
- B4 | With one down, back-to-back hit-by-pitch and a walk loaded them up for Ed Johnson, who drew a walk of his own to push across another tally. (4-0, Alabama)
- T7 | Bobby Peirce got the Tigers on the board with a solo home run. (4-1, Alabama)
- T9 | A high chopper got over the head of the third baseman allowed one run to cross for the Tigers. (4-2, Alabama)
- Tonight's game was a second consecutive sellout. It marks the Tide's first back-to-back sellouts (non-COVID) since May 5-6, 2018.
- Garrett McMillan tossed a season-high 5.0 innings in tonight's start. It was his third appearance and second start in 2023 after missing the beginning of the season due to injury.
- McMillan has now tossed 5.0-plus innings in 15 of his 16 career regular season starts. The only start in which he did not meet or exceed 5.0 innings was last week's start against Mississippi State on April 6.
- Jim Jarvis has gotten aboard in 18 consecutive games dating back to March 16.
- Andrew Pinckney reached base in tonight's game and has now done so in 17 straight contests.
- ATTENDANCE: 5,800 (SELLOUT)
The Tide and Tigers will play for the series on Sunday. Alabama will send right-hander Jacob McNairy to the hill with Auburn calling on Christian Herberholz, also a righty. Fans can catch the series finale live on SEC Network+.