TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Seventh-ranked Alabama soccer opened the 2023 campaign with a 2-0 victory over DePaul on Thursday night.
The Crimson Tide saw goals from Gianna Paul (4:57) and Itala Gemelli (43:26) in the win. With the victory, UA extended its home winning streak to an NCAA-leading 21 straight games.
From Head Coach Wes Hart
"It was a win, so we will certainly take it. I was pleased. We're still learning and trying to figure out who we are, but I thought we saw some good moments. It was awesome to get an early goal, and then to end the half with a goal. I thought it was great. I thought our best stretch of the game was early in the second half. We were all over. I think if we could have got a goal there, probably the floodgates would've opened. Credit to DePaul, their keeper made some big saves and they hung tough and made it hard for us. Overall, I'm pleased we got the win."
- While on Alabama's defensive side of the field, Tanna Sanchez-Carreto passed the ball through the DPU defense for Gianna Paul to run onto
- Paul then cut the ball to her right foot at the top of the box before firing it into the left corner to put UA on the scoreboard just five minutes into the game
- Despite dominating possession, UA did not find its second goal until the 44th minute
- Nadia Ramanda played a ball to Isabel Smith just outside the box, who found Itala Gemelli racing towards net
- Gemelli took a few touches then fired the ball with her left foot past the DePaul goalkeeper
- The Crimson Tide outshot the Blue Demons 21-4 and led 8-1 in shots on goal
- Dylan Pixton registered her first save in a UA uniform while the Blue Demons' Elena Milam recorded six saves
Alabama faces the University of Alabama at Birmingham on Sunday at 7 p.m. ET on the road. The match will be televised on ESPN+.