COLUMBIA, SC - The 13th-ranked South Carolina women's soccer team (4-0-1) secured its fourth clean sheet of the season Thursday night, grabbing a 2-0 win over Elon (1-1-2) in front of a crowd of 3,300.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Gamecocks got the first shot on the board, coming from senior Brianna Behm just three minutes into the game, coming off wide to the left
- Senior Catherine Barry then fired off the next three consecutive attempts, only to be met with two saves and a bounce right off the crossbar
- In the 30th minute, freshman Reagan Schubach fired way in front of the 18, and the ball rolled past an Elon defender and keeper Dalfonso, McKenna Dalfonso to put the Gamecocks up 1-0 in the first half. The goal was Schubach's fourth of the season in just as many games
- Barry wasted no time for South Carolina, putting up a shot just a minute into the second half, coming close but finishing wide
- In the 78th minute, Micah Bryant sent one towards the net, but an Elon defender headed it straight past her keeper for an Elon own goal to seal the deal at 2-0
- South Carolina finished with a 17-3 shot advantage with Barry accounting for seven, and took six corners to the Phoenix's one
- Fifth-year keeper Heather Hinz made one save and tallied her 25th career shutout
The Gamecocks will stay home, taking on Coastal Carolina in Stone Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 3 at 6:00 p.m.