NEW ORLEANS, La. - Alabama volleyball concluded its weekend at the Green Wave Classic Sunday with a four-set win over Sam Houston, claiming the tournament title with a 3-0 weekend record.
Alabama (6-0) fell in the first set, 19-25, to Sam Houston (4-3) before rallying to win the next three 25-22, 25-23 and 25-16. Kendyl Reaugh capped a stellar weekend with a career performance against the Bearkats, finishing with a career-best 20 kills, 15 digs, and five aces. The double-double was her third of the season and 14th of her career. Alyiah Wells and Micah Gryniewicz also finished in double figures with 13 and 12 kills, respectively. Callie Kieffer's 51 assists are a season-high for the freshman and Sydney Gholson led the defense with a career-best 16 digs.
For their performances over the weekend, Reaugh and Wells were named to the Green Wave Classic All-Tournament team.
From Head Coach Rashinda Reed
"I am incredibly proud of this team. The beauty of preseason is the opportunity to work out the kinks and build a relationship with one another. I love that as we continue to progress through preseason, the competition gets tougher and the teams we play give us an opportunity to work through adversity. I think these ladies are handling it with grace. Heading into next weekend it will just be about focusing on the little things. Now that our game is starting to elevate, we can focus on the small nuances and cleaning up some of the unforced errors."
- The match was Alabama's first this season to go past three sets
- The Crimson Tide set season highs in kills (59), assists (57) and digs (64)
- The match marked the fourth time in the last six matches the Tide has earned at least 7.0 team blocks
- Kendyl Reaugh and Alyiah Wells were named to the Green Wave Classic All-Tournament Team
- Reaugh posted career-best numbers in kills (20), digs (15) and aces (5), earning her third double-double of the season, the 13th of her career
- Sydney Gholson led the team with a career-best 16 digs
- Kills: Kendyl Reaugh - 20
- Assists: Callie Kieffer - 51
- Digs: Sydney Gholson - 16
- Blocks: Chaise Campbell - 4
- Aces: Kendyl Reaugh - 5
- Set 1: Sam Houston 25, Alabama 19
- Set 2: Alabama 25, Sam Houston 22
- Set 3: Alabama 25, Sam Houston 23
- Set 4: Alabama 25, Sam Houston 16
Up Next: Blazer Classic (Birmingham, Ala.)
- Friday, Sept. 8 vs. Texas A&M Commerce - 4 p.m. CT
- Saturday, Sept. 9 vs. Tarleton State - 11 a.m. CT
- Sunday, Sept. 10 at UAB - 1 p.m. CT