TROY, Ala. - For the second time in the last three matches, Alabama overcame a match deficit to earn a five-set win, defeating Troy on the road Thursday night.
Alabama (9-1) won the opening set, 26-24, before Troy (1-8) took the next two 17-25 and 21-25 to take a match lead through three sets. The Crimson Tide hit a match-best .520 in the fourth set, winning 25-21 to force a deciding fifth which Alabama carried its momentum towards a 15-9 win to secure the match.
Callie Kieffer notched her third double-double of the season, finishing with 46 assists and 11 digs. She also tied for the team lead with a career-best five blocks along with Alyiah Wells. Kendyl Reaugh led the team with 16 kills with Wells also in double figures at 10.
From Head Coach Rashinda Reed
"We really just need to continue to work on first contact. We have great attackers and the only way to get them involved is with a good pass. The game is won with serve and pass. I'm glad were a tough serving team but I thought today our serves weren't where we wanted them to be but I'm proud of our ladies fighting back. There were opportunities to give up but this was a great test and they stayed resilient even if they didn't have their best games."
- Alabama improves to 13-3 all-time vs. Troy, including a 3-1 mark on the road
- Three of the Tide's last four matches have gone five sets, with Alabama 2-1 in those contests
- Callie Kieffer earned her third double-double of the season (46 assists, 11 digs)
- Kieffer's season-high five blocks tied for the team lead along with Alyiah Wells
- Kendyl Reaugh led the offense with 16 kills, one dig shy of a double-double
- Kills: Kendyl Reaugh - 16
- Assists: Callie Kieffer - 46
- Digs: Sydney Gholson - 17
- Blocks: Alyiah Wells, Callie Kieffer - 5
- Aces: Micah Gryniewicz - 2
- Set 1: Alabama 26, Troy 24
- Set 2: Troy 25, Alabama 17
- Set 3: Troy 25, Alabama 21
- Set 4: Alabama 25, Troy 17
- Set 5: Alabama 15, Troy 9
Up Next: vs. Grambling State Saturday, Sept. 16 - Tuscaloosa, Ala. - 5 p.m. CT