GAINESVILLE, Fla. - In the only meet of the weekend with a pair of top-four opponents, it was the No. 2 Gator gymnasts taking the win.
In Friday's tri-meet held in front of 8,323 at the Exactech Arena, Florida posted the nation's fourth-highest total of 2020 to push its season record to 6-0. The Gators earned a 197.875, followed by No. 4 Denver (197.25) and No. 18 Iowa State (196.80).
The multi-team meet gave a post-season feel to the competition and that touch showed in some of the performances Friday. Two 10.0 marks were earned as Gator sophomore Trinity Thomas posted her first perfect mark on balance beam. She earned her first collegiate 10.0 on the uneven bars in the Jan. 24 dual win versus LSU. Denver senior Maddie Karr equaled her collegiate-best and set her season-high with her 10.0 on vault.
Thomas shared the floor exercise win with junior teammate Alyssa Baumann as they closed the Florida lineup with a pair of nearly perfect 9.975s. Sophomore Savannah Schoenherr anchored the Gators lineup with a 9.95 to share the event title with Iowa State's Natalia Ros Vaquer.
Thomas equaled her collegiate best of 39.775 - the nation's third-highest of 2020 - to win her fourth all-around title of the season. DU junior Lynnzee Brown took second with a season-best 39.70 and Gator freshman Payton Richards finished third at 39.475.
GATOR PERFORMANCE NOTES:
- The 197.875 gives Florida three of the nation's top-five totals of 2020 - No. 1 198.375 (Jan. 24), No. 4 197.875 (Feb. 7), No. 5 197.80 (Jan. 31).
- The uneven bars win by sophomore Savannah Schoenherr was her first of her Gator career. She won vault twice as a freshman.
- Alyssa Baumann raised her collegiate floor best to 9.975 to share the win with Thomas. Baumann's previous high of 9.95 was achieved four times, with the last coming at the 2019 Southeastern Conference Championships.
- For the second consecutive meet, sophomore Sydney Johnson-Scharpf upped her collegiate floor best. Last Friday at Kentucky, she set her high with a 9.875. Tonight, she upped that best to 9.925.
- After a fall by their leadoff performer, Florida's final five performers hit their beam routines as the team posted a 49.60 on the event. That total ties for No. 5 all-time for the Gator program.
- Trinity Thomas' all-around total of 39.775 ties for No. 9 all-time for Florida.
Thomas' 10.0 is the:
- 43rd in school history and 14th different Gator to earn a perfect score
- Fourth Gator to earn a 10.0 on multiple events (other multi-event 10.0 - Kytra Hunter, Alex McMurtry, Bridget Sloan)
- Sixth for UF on balance beam
- Five gymnasts earned six balance beam 10.0s season (two 10.0s by Minnesota's Lexy Ramler; Thomas, LSU's Kiya Johnson; Denver's Alexis Vasquez; Illinois' Mia Takekawa)
Collegiate best set or equaled tonight by the Gators:
- Alyssa Baumann - 9.975 (floor)
- Sydney Johnson-Scharpf - 9.925 (floor)
- Payton Richards - 9.95 (beam), 9.85 (bars & floor)
- Trinity Thomas - 39.775 (all-around, 10.0 (beam), 9.975 (floor)
RECORDS: Florida (6-0, 4-0 SEC), Denver (10-2), Iowa State (3-5)
THE SERIES: Florida leads the Denver series 11-1 and leads the Iowa State series 18-1.
UP NEXT: Florida returns to Southeastern Conference action Friday at No. 17 Auburn.