BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Zane Waddell of the Alabama men's swimming and diving team and Bailey Hemphill of the Crimson Tide softball team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Alabama.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of Alabama's nominees include:
ZANE WADDELL, Alabama, Swimming & Diving
Double Major: Management Information Systems & Finance
- SEC Swimming and Diving Scholar-Athlete of the Year, 2020
- SEC Commissioner's Trophy winner as the high point scorer at the SEC Championships, 2020
- NCAA 200 Medley Relay Champion, 2019
- Four-year All-American, earning 21 honors
- Eight-time SEC Champion & three-year All-SEC, 2018, 2019, 2020
- SEC Record Holder, 100 backstroke, 200 & 400 medley relays, 200 freestyle relay
- Fifth fastest 100 backstroker and has two of three fastest 50 backstroke swims in swimming history
- Three-year CSCAA Scholar All-American, 2017, 2018, 2019
- 2019 FINA World Champion, 50-meter backstroke
- 2019 World University Games Champion and WUG Record Holder, 50-meter backstroke
BAILEY HEMPHILL, Alabama, Softball
Major: Early Childhood Education
- 2019 NFCA Second Team All-American
- Two-time CoSIDA Academic All-American
- 2019 Google Cloud Division I Softball Academic All-America Team Member of the Year
- 2019 Women's College World Series All-Tournament Team
- Two-time All-SEC honoree
- Alabama single-season record holder in home runs and RBIs, holding the SEC record in the former
- 2019 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year finalist
- First Team All-SEC (2019)
- CoSIDA Second Team Academic All-American (2018)
- CoSIDA Academic All-District (2018)
- Two-time NFCA Second Team All-South Region (2018-19)
- Second Team All-SEC (2018)
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.