BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (May 12, 2020) - William Riggs of the South Carolina swimming and diving team and Mikayla Shields of the Gamecock volleyball team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of South Carolina.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of South Carolina's nominees include:
WILLIAM RIGGS, South Carolina, Swimming & Diving
Major: Risk Management and Insurance/Finance
- Two-time member of the Dean's List
- Five-time member of the Athletics Director's Honor Roll
- SEC Academic Honor Roll all four years of his career
- Named to the SEC Community Service Team in 2020
- Sixth all-time in program history in the 200 Butterfly
- Has two career event wins
- Swam primarily the butterfly events in his final season.
- Posted a season best in the 100 butterfly at the SEC Championships, swimming a 48.31 in the prelims.
- Notched two top-three finishes in the 200 butterfly on the season.
- Sixth all-time in the 200-butterfly in the USC Record Book
MIKAYLA SHIELDS, South Carolina, Volleyball
Major: Biological Sciences
- Graduated a semester early with a degree in biomedical science and is currently pursuing med school.
- Four-year member of SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Member of Dean's List and Athletics Director's honor roll
- CoSIDA All-District honoree
- Named AVCA Third Team All-America honors t
- Led team to unprecedented season as, for the first time in its 48 years, the Gamecocks won 20 or more games and won a NCAA tournament game in back-to-back years
- Three-time All-SEC
- Three-time AVCA All-Region Ranks in the South Carolina top 10 in kills, attacks, hitting percentage and points
- Her 122 career matches played are tied for the program record for the rally-scoring era, and her 447 sets played ranks second
- Only pin hitter in the SEC who ranked in the top ten for both hitting percentage (.317) and kills per set (3.55). Ranked third in the SEC for service aces, seventh for points and 11th for double-doubles
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.