BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (April 20, 2021) - Kayla McKeon of the Arkansas soccer team and Grant Morgan of the Razorback football team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Arkansas.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2021 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on May 18.
Highlights of Arkansas' nominees include:
KAYLA MCKEON, Arkansas, Soccer Major: Industrial Engineering
- Earned her B.S. in Industrial Engineering, graduating with a cumulative GPA of 3.602
- Pursuing a M.S. in Engineering Management
- SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2017, 2018, 2020
- All-SEC Second Team, 2020
- All-SEC Tournament Team, 2020
- United Soccer Coaches Third Team All-Southeast Region, 2018
- SEC All-Freshman Team, 2016
- All-SEC Tournament Team, 2016
- Started in 79 of her 82 career matches
- Career stat line includes 28 goals, 17 assists and 73 points, all ranking in the top 10 of program history
- Put away 12 career game-winners
- After coming off a season-ending ankle injury in 2019, she led Arkansas to its second consecutive SEC regular season title and fifth-straight appearance in the SEC Tournament title game
GRANT MORGAN, Arkansas, Football Major: Undergraduate - Kinesiology; Masters of Science in Operations Management
- Four-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Three-time member of the Dean's List, Fall 2016, Spring 2017, Spring 2019
- Two-time member of the Chancellor's List Spring 2017, Spring 2019
- Burlsworth Trophy Finalist, 2020
- Second-Team Walter Camp All-America, 2020 - only the 16th Razorback in program history and first since 2015 to earn honor
- Second-Team AFCA All-America, 2020
- Third-Team Phil Steele All-America, 2020
- First-Team All-SEC - Coaches, Associated Press, 2020
- Led FBS in 2020 with 12.33 tackles per game in 2020 and ranked third nationally with 111 total tackles despite playing in just nine games
- Played in 43 games in his career with 209 tackles and 16.5 tackles for loss
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were LSU men's basketball member Skylar Mays and Kentucky swimmer Asia Seidt.