The NCAA leadership development office, in partnership with the Board of Governors Committee To Promote Cultural Diversity and Equity, has selected 22 senior-level administrators to participate in the NCAA Pathway Program, with the goal of preparing these individuals to attain positions as directors of athletics or conference commissioners.
Included among the selected administrators are two representatives from the Southeastern Conference, Kristen Brown, Deputy Athletics Director at Texas A&M, and Byron Hatch, Assistant Commissioner in the SEC Office.
The Pathway Program spans the course of a year, providing participants with many engagement opportunities through experiential learning. The touchpoints focus on advancing cohort members to the top role in an athletics department or conference office, while building their skills to thrive in their current duties.
Participants will engage with a diverse curriculum that features case study assignments, exploration of culture development, sessions-led by higher education and athletics leadership, and a thorough mock interview process. The Pathway Program cohort begins its journey with an engaging stretch of virtual programming and connection from June 21-30.
"The 2021-22 Pathway cohort represents a phenomenal group of administrators who have demonstrated impressive leadership capabilities and potential to flourish as college athletics' next wave of capable decision-makers," said DeeDee Merritt, Director of NCAA Leadership Development. "We are immensely excited to play a role in facilitating the professional journeys of our 22 cohort members."
The Division I Pathway Participants include:
- Kristen Brown, Deputy Athletics Director, Texas A&M
- Lauren Cevis, Deputy Athletic Director/Senior Woman Administrator, Jacksonville
- K. Renia Edwards, Senior Athletic Director/Senior Woman Administrator, Compliance & Student-Athlete Affairs, Mississippi Valley State
- Carl Hairston, Associate Director of Athletics for External Affairs, North Carolina A&T
- Raymond Harrison, Senior Associate Athletics Director, NC State.
- Byron Hatch, Assistant Commissioner, Southeastern Conference
- Carl Heck, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Capital, Facilities & Events, Penn State
- Lisa Liotta, Associate Director of Athletics/Senior Woman Administrator, Canisius
- Jeff Mitchell, Deputy Director of Athletics, Southern Mississippi
- Alison Quandt Westgate, Associate Athletic Director - Academics & Student services, UMass Lowell
- Kurt Svoboda, Associate Athletic Director for External Communications and Public Relations, Michigan
- Jaunelle White, Senior Associate Director of Athletics, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis The Division II & III Pathway
- TJ Budd, Assistant Athletic Director, Palm Beach Atlantic
- Gregg DiNardo, Associate Director of Athletics, Amherst
- Stephanie Dollar, Senior Associate Director of Athletics/Senior Woman Administrator, Massachusetts Boston
- Betsy Feutz, Assistant Vice President/Senior Woman Administrator, Lindenwood (Missouri)
- Chelsea Herman, Senior Associate Athletics Director/Senior Woman Administrator, Cal State San Bernardino
- Summer Hutcheson, Senior Associate Director of Athletics, Washington University in St. Louis
- Sara Higley, Senior Associate Athletic Director, Ferris State
- Marie Stroman, Associate Executive Director, Middle Atlantic Conference
- Alexandra Vernon, Associate Director of Athletics for Compliance, Business, and Internal Operations/Senior Woman Administrator/Director of Club Sports and Intramurals/Assistant Softball Coach, Knox
- Terrence Warren, Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs, Queens (North Carolina)