BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 11, 2022) - Tyler Sesvold of the Alabama men's swimming and diving team and Polly Mack of the Crimson Tide women's golf team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Alabama.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of Alabama's nominees include:
TYLER SESVOLD, Alabama, Swimming & Diving
· Three-year CSCAA Scholar All-American, 2018, 2019, 2020
· Four-year member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
· President's List (4.0 GPA) and Dean's List (3.5 GPA) student throughout his UA career
· USA Olympic Team Trials finalist in the 100-meter butterfly
· Two-year All-American, earning nine honors
· Three-time Southeastern Conference Champion
· SEC Championships Record Breaker
· First Team All-SEC, 2020
· Three-time University of Alabama record holder
· Ranked second all-time at Alabama in the 100 butterfly and in the all-time top 10 in the 50 and 100 freestyle
POLLY MACK, Alabama, Golf
Major: Hospitality Management; Minor: Marketing
· Two-time member of the President's List
· Three-time member of the Dean's List
· SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2020, 2021
· Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic Tournament Champion, 2022
o Won wire-to-wire by four strokes as the only player under par in an individual field that included seven of the nation's top 15 women's college golfers
· Advanced to the 2021 LPGA Q-Series final tournament in Mobile, Ala., Dec. 2-5
· Received full EPSON TOUR card for 2022
· Ranked No. 48 in the Women's World Amateur Golf Rankings
· Ranked No. 8 in the Golfstat NCAA Division I Player Rankings
· Holds the school record for single-season, par-5 scoring, averaging a mark of 4.6293 in 2021-22
· Ranked fourth on Alabama's single-season, scoring-average, all-time list with a 71.30 to date in 2021-22
· Finished T14th at the 2021 European Ladies' Amateur Championship with an even-par 288
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May, as well as honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Florida women's swimming team member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M men's track & field and cross country team.