BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 19, 2022) - Avery Atkins of the LSU football team and Lisa Gunnarsson of the Tiger track and field squad have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Louisiana State University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of LSU's nominees include:
AVERY ATKINS, LSU, Football
- 2021 LSU Graduate in Kinesiology
- Four-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Campbell Trophy Semifinalist, 2021
- Recipient of the 2021 LSU Male Leadership Award for Student-Athletes
- Four-year starter at placekicker and LSU's starting punter as a senior in 2021
- LSU career record holder in every kickoff category
- Capped career with 84.1 percent of his kickoffs going for touchbacks (281-of-334)
- Of his 334 kickoffs, only two went out of bounds
- Appeared in 51 games during his career
- Member of LSU's 2019 National Championship Team
- Awarded the No. 18 as a senior in 2021, which is given to football player who best exemplifies what it means to be a LSU Tiger
LISA GUNNARSSON, LSU, Track & Field
Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Cumulative GPA of 4.16
- USTFCCCA Indoor & Outdoor Scholar Athlete of the Year, 2021
- SEC Outdoor Scholar Athlete of the Year, 2021
- CoSIDA First Team Academic All-American, 2020, 2021
- Six-time honoree on the LSU President's Honor Roll
- Three-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Two-time NCAA Champion (2021 indoor pole vault, 2021 outdoor pole vault)
- Equal to fourth best performer in collegiate history with clearance of 15' 3" (4.65 meters) in pole vault
- SEC Indoor Champion (pole vault), 2020
- Six-time All-American Four-time All-SEC Performer
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May, as well as honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Florida women's swimming team member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M men's track & field and cross country team.